Friday, March 8, 2013

Spanish


Literacy is the key to the door of opportunity. Being able to communicate with society and the community and just having the ability to talk to different people is a huge benefit. Being bilingual and literate in different languages gives one that much more of an advantage.

I spoke Spanish before I did English, and to this day I am still fluent. My eighth grade year I was the new girl at school, and being that I am fair skinned and have colored yes, my classmates did not expect me to know a lick of Spanish, much less understand it. Little did they know that as they were talking behind my back saying some not very nice things, I could understand everything they said and could probably even say it better. Weeks went by until one day I got fed up and answered my softball coach in Spanish. The look on their faces was priceless. That day was the last day I ever had that issue.

Since I now live in an area where English is spoken more than Spanish, in order for me not to forget my Spanish language, my mom makes it appoint that whenever I speak to her, that I speak in Spanish… that includes texting in Spanish.

Being literate in both Spanish and English has helped me so much. Since I do come from a predominantly Mexican area, it allowed me to hold my own and fit in. Now, being bilingual has opened so many doors in the business world. To this day I am so grateful that I was brought up the way I was. And being that we live in such a divers world, knowing a second language would never hurt. 

3 comments:

  1. I am so jealous that you grew up speaking two languages! I have only spoken English my whole life. I have taken Spanish classes so I know some Spanish, but I believe If I had grown up around it I would have retained more from class. Knowing another language creates so many opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it great that your mom has you speak to her in Spanish. I seemed to have forgotten my native Indian tongue while living here in America and it sucks. I feel bad when I respond to older family members in English; it's as if I have forgotten where I came from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you that being bilingual has helped with literacy. Knowing spanish as well as english automatically provides a "one up" in multiple situations. I too grew up with a spanish background and I am so happy that we can share this understanding. My parents spoke to me in spanish before they spoke to me in english so I completely agree with your view.

    ReplyDelete