Friday, February 8, 2013

The Naked Truth



The first time I ever heard of Snapchat it was in a positive light. It was an app to send funny face or pictures to friends and those embarrassingly funny pictures would “self-destruct” within minutes. The most popular are “selfies”. I use Snapchat on a daily basis; I send horribly embarrassing ugly selfies of myself to my friends, and my family not concerned about those ever popping up again. However, I have recently heard about people using Snapchat for sending dirty picture to others; “sexting” since the picture will be erased within a certain amount of seconds.


Ann Brenoff blogged about how “Certainly, it's the perfect tool for sexting: You get to show off your privates and there's no evidence left for extortion later.”
            BUT… Do these pictures really disappear? HOW is it that they just self-destruct into nothing? Are they saved onto a massive hardrive somewhere? “In recent months, at least two security loopholes, which would allow recipients to save Snapchat images or clips for keeps, were discovered and made public” blogged Dominique Mosbergen.

2 comments:

  1. If it were my guess, I would say there is indeed some sort of a hard drive out there somewhere where all these pictures are saved. After all, I've always been told that once it's out there on the internet, it's out there for good. People need to really think about that and be careful of what they are snapping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely an interesting read. I myself as a snapchat user havent really though about the ramifications of this. Not to say that I would ever do something like that, considering the fact that a lot of my friends go for the shock affect when sending snap cats, I am quite confident that the app has complete ownership of the images that are sent through it. Just like facebook and other social media sites, the privacy clauses typically in really really tiny writing that anything sent through their applications become the property of the company which created it. This means that you wouldnt want your friend seeing for more than ten seconds, may be seen by the rest of society for a lot longer than that. Great job!

    ReplyDelete